“He is jealous for me.
Loves like a hurricane,
I am a tree,
Bending beneath the weight of his love and mercy.
All of the sudden I am unaware
Of these afflictions,
Eclipsed by glory.
And I realize just how beautiful you are
And how great your affections are for me.
Oh, How he loves us so.
Oh how he loves us.
How he loves us so.”
Well, dear friends, I feel like my heart has done a 180 since I last posted. Isn’t life like that? I think it is because Our Great God is the business of redeeming all things.
I was very very upset about my apartment when I last posted, and would come home and cry because I was alone in a shoebox. I hate being alone. And I was frustrated with myself for coming all the way over here, and always thinking about the soonest time I could come home.
Then I got an email from one of my favorite profs, encouraging me:
“Dear one, be patient and gentle with yourself
during these early days, weeks, months.
The Father is.
After all, He has all the time in the world
For you.
Technically, all eternity.”
Yesterday when I walked in the door, I expected to melt down again because I was alone. Instead, I was greeted by an overwhelming sense of peace and joy, and I realized that I was not alone here, this was God’s and my apartment. He is here with me. I am not alone. That changes everything. I am sure I will still be lonely. And homesickness for me is a never-ending battle, because I am so fond of you all. I’m wired to thrive off of being around people, and here I am, living in a one-room apartment by myself. My prayer has been, “LORD, you made me like this, and you put me here, now please take care of me.” I know he hears me. And I know he hears all of you. A million thanks to all of you, dear friends, for standing beside me during this time. As the above lyrics declare, I know that He is jealous for me, and he has brought me here for a season of pruning back and growing up.
The past few days have been incredibly busy!
Yokkaichi Matsuri:
Yokkaichi’s yearly festival (Matsuri) took place this past weekend. The festival is centered around carrying a few portable Shinto shrines around the city to invoke the favor of the gods or something. I haven’t been able to get a straight answer out of anyone about what exactly they believe is taking place. So anyways, the shrines get carried around with a lot of chanting. And older man grabbed a bunch of us teachers and tried to make us join in carrying the shrine. I politely refused and tried to engage him in conversation about what was going on (I really wish I knew more about traditional Japanese religion, I need to study up!), but all he would say was “volunteers carry the shrines, you are a volunteer!!,” as he tried to drag me towards the shrine. Hahaha, that's some philosophy on volunteering! I obviously refrained, but a few of my coworkers got carried away in the procession. Although the main thing in the festival is the shrines, most of the time and energy is dedicated for the community to come together, have fun, and enjoy traditional Japanese arts. There are taiko drumming and dance performances all over the place, and the streets are lined with food and game booths like a fair. The whole community comes out to watch, so it was a great chance to meet people. The second year teachers took us around, and we were constantly getting mobbed by students running up to greet their English teachers. It was like walking around with celebrities, everyone under 15 knew their names and would call out to them and come talk to them as they walked by. I can’t wait for that to be me next year!! J
Work:
All of the new teachers are finally here! YAY!! And I really really like them! We’ve spent the last few days dressed up in suits being paraded around the city hall building meeting all the high up people, and everybody else. We’ve had meeting with the mayor, superintendent, speakers for the city (some of it was even covered by the local news!), and have stopped in all of the offices on all of the levels around where we work on the 9th floor to introduce ourselves and say “Doozo Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu” (I’m very pleased to meet you, and I hope we can have a very pleasant and productive relationship). We’ve had a official appointment ceremony, and lots of sit and look pretty, say a few words, and drink some green tea. Friday they are having a formal welcome dinner for us, and then afterwards everyone gets drunk and goes to Karaoke.
We are also currently preparing lessons to teach at seminars for Japanese people who are English teachers. I am teaching a 3rd grade lesson on “Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed,” as well as a few other skits and stuff.
Schools:
The summer is filled with curriculum prep, having our teaching critiqued, and conducting workshops for other English teachers. Starting September, I get to start teaching at 3 schools!
Oike Jr. High & Tomida Jr. High: I haven’t heard so much about these school, because they people who had them last year aren’t here this year. I’ve heard Tomida is a good school though.
Tokiwa Elementary School: One of the poorest elementary schools in the area. Tokiwa Jr. High is notorious for being a "bad school" and having the cops there all the time, but I'm not sure what the elementary will be like. (Its not dangerous, so no worries, the students will just be a bit rougher around the edges).
Fureai classes!: I’m one of the two teachers out of the eleven of us who got assigned to teach Fureai classes. From what I’ve gathered so far, these are classes for students that are border line hikikomori (a social disorder where Japanese people lock themselves away in the rooms and refuse to interact with society) and futoko (students who often refuse to go to school). Some of the schools have these classes to try to get some education for those struggling with these issues, and maybe other issues? I’m not totally sure what it will be like, but it seems they let them go at their own pace a bit more than normal. I'm sooo soooo sooooo excited to get to teach them! I did my Intercultural Studies senior thesis on social disorders among Japan’s urban youth, so I am very excited to actually be able to interact with these students. Its not a weekly thing, its just every now and then, but I'll get to be with the students all day when I'm there. J My co-worker Tim, from Long Beach, will be joining me.
I'm also picking up a once a week adult class. It's a cool chance to make extra money and get further involved in the community.
Travel:
I’m heading to Osaka this weekend to visit some dear friends from my Japanese church in LA who are currently in Japan. One of my friend’s parents are pasturing a church in Osaka, and they are currently doing an outreach with the help of a team visiting from a Korean church in LA. Saturday is VBS. I’m really looking forward to being there.
Another ridiculously long post! SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!! There’s just so much going on!
Prayer requests:
• God would bless my time in Osaka, and the ministry taking place there. That my friends and I would mutually encourage one another.
• Ability to teach well. Although I have TESOL training and some experience, working with this young of an age group at this low of a proficiency level is totally new for me. I’m a little nervous. AGH! Also, that my heart would be prepared to give my best effort to my students come September.
• That I would be able to make good friends here with everyone I work with and with the community. I like everyone a lot, so hopefully I can be a blessing and an encouragement to them some way.
• That God would continue to break up the untilled soil in my heart, and make it into a beautiful garden. Homesickness and all the jazz…
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #1 For your prayers. #2 For who you are in my life. #3 For making it to the bottom of this post! :P
PS! new pics are on facebook!
Tuesday, August 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
David Crowder!
ReplyDeleteTokiwa sounds like a fun school- a great place for your charisma and Christian character to really make a difference!
How awesome that you're going to be working with that select group of students! Interesting how God prepared you to work with them through your thesis research and is now using you in this way! It's crazy cool how it worked out like this.
On that subject, I forgot to mention that I finally finished your paper a week or so ago after all my friends had come and gone from the house I was sitting. I had jotted down a few notes/references from your paper that were particularly interesting and that I was going to talk with you about when we hang out. I suppose I might as well share them now. I’d like to hear more about them sometime.
Ijime –
"Around 70% of victims’ parents think that their child is somehow at fault for the ijime he or she experiences; making it difficult for the child to seek help from their parents (Treml, 2001, p.110). " (pp 14) This is a very interesting statistic. This whole section on ijime is ridiculously intriguing, especially the information on corporeal punishment! Geez!
Deliverance from Shame –
“Japan’s shame based culture is a result of polytheism because “concepts of sin before a single, supreme and holy deity are obviously inapplicable in a society where people believe in many deities” (Lewis, 1993, p.227). The lack of belief in a supreme deity makes the individual accountable to the group rather than to a higher power.
Credibility & Honesty in Application -
Considering a great portion of my JET interview dealt with the very issue of using JET as a means to evangelize, this is clearly a big enough issue for the program that they would spend most of my interview on it!
I will reference this for years to come! It’s encouraging to have this as a resource. You might consider sharing this with other Christian JETs! Neetha Mony, whom you can find on FB, is also Christian. I’m sure she would love to read this during her final weeks in the states.
Back to your blog post…
What is the name/contact information for that church? I’ve been researching churches in the Osaka area and found one that seems similar to the on I’m currently a member of. I’d be interested in checking it out!
I enjoy the long posts because there’s some real meaty discussion in there. I’m sure everyone else feels the same.
I miss you quite a lot. It's absolutely crazy to see that you have been picked for fureai. God will certainly use you in great ways. Give my greeting to the Stem people!
ReplyDeleteAlso, I laughed at "invoke the favor of the gods or something." Hilarious.
ReplyDelete